|This page is about the original Sword Man. For his NetNavi counterpart, see SwordMan.EXE.|
Sword Man (ソードマン Sōdoman?) is a combat Robot Master that was built by Dr. Wily to use an ancient sword that he stole from a museum. Unfortunately, Sword Man's sword was way too heavy, so the upper part of the body was fitted with an anti-gravitational device, and as such, both the upper and lower halves of his body can act independently of each other to improve his balance.
Video game appearances
Sword Man is one the second four bosses. His main attack is Flame Sword, an attack that envelops his sword with flames for extra damage. Sword Man can also attack by spinning his upper part rapidly to cut enemies, and drops heavy statues. His stage is a Cambodian temple-like area shown located somewhere in Central Asia, but would be more southeast on the Asian mainland.
The battle can be either easy or hard with or without his weakness, Water Balloon. Sword Man has a number of attacks:
- Fire Slash - When Sword Man does that attack, he will try to attack Mega Man by spinning his upper torso , separating it and having it return like a boomerang. Mega Man cannot attack him when he's doing that, but he can slide under him.
- Flame Sword - Sword Man will attempt to stop Mega Man with this attack, which is a flame version of Slash Claw. Mega Man must stay away from his path.
- Quake - When Sword Man jumps, a giant version of a Kao de Kahna will drop. Mega Man must slide to avoid it.
- Body Strike - When Sword Man jumps, his upper torso gravitates into the air while his lower torso rams at Mega Man on the ground. Mega Man must be fast to jump carefully and avoid it.
Sword man can use Body Strike and Flame Sword in rapid succession.
When Sword Man's health is below 50%, he will place his sword on the ground and do a fire column. Mega Man cannot hit him when he's doing that, except with Water Balloon.
Sword Man appears twice as an enemy in the game, and can also become a part of the player's team. His initial appearance is in the "Temple of the Moon" in Madagascar (no relation to the structure of the same name in Super Adventure Rockman) as one of Luna's backup units, along with Skull Man. The pair would later join Aqua Man and Bomb Man in working to protect the Wily Capsule in "Dimensional Space".
- "I'm Sword Man."
- "Let's make this a fair fight."
- "I won't hold back."
- "I'll do my best."
- "Nothing personal, but I've got orders."
- "Body Strike!"
- "Flame Sword!"
- "Fire Slash!"
- Overdrive Attack: "Huuuh!"
If Mega Man completely avoids Fire Slash attack:
- "Not yet." (if hit by Water Balloon while using Overdrive Attack)
- "Nice shot."
Enemies in Sword Man's stage.
- Mid Boss: Gearna Eye
- Batton M64 (Bubble Bat)
- Batton Mommy & Petit Batton
- Fire Metall
- Kao de Kahna
- Kao ga Mehda
- Kao na Gahna
Sword Man appears during the Worlds Collide arc as part of an army of Robot Masters assembled by Dr. Wily and Dr. Eggman. During the course of the battle, his sword gets stuck in the ground due to an attack by Sonic the Hedgehog.
The sword used by Dr. Wily in the Short Circuits strip of Issue 36 bore a strong resemblance to that of Sword Man's.
- How he is weak to the Water Balloon is a reference to the process of quenching. Moreover, if a heated sword is immediately water treated without refinement or care, its edge and form can be potentially ruined upon it being warped through cooling and the metal of the blade unevenly forming.
- During Capcom's boss character contest for Mega Man 8, Sword Man was one of three robots created using a pre-made design template supplied to fans (Clown Man and Search Man were the others). Sword Man's template was known as "Katana Robot."
- Sword Man is one of the first robot characters to possess a noticeable accented voice (British), alongside Colonel (whose voice is coincidentally provided by the same voice actor who did Sword Man) and Iris.
- Sword Man was one of two Robot Masters from Mega Man 8 to receive a toy in the form of Bandai's Mega Armor model kit series, the other being Tengu Man. The model is not separated at the waist, instead closing the two halves together.
- In the Mega Man: Anniversary Collection's version of Mega Man 8, Sword Man's voice files are bugged, raising his pitch considerably. Many other robot masters, especially in Wily stage 4, suffer from the same problem.
| Mega Man • Beat • Rush • Dr. Light • Roll|
Proto Man • Duo • Auto • Eddie • Fan • Dr. Wily
| Aries • Taurus • Gemini • Cancer • Leo • Virgo|
Libra • Scorpio • Sagittarius • Capricorn • Aquarius • Pisces
Bass • Treble • Apollo • Luna • Wily Machine α • Wily Capsule α
| Fire Man • Cut Man• Bomb Man • Flame Man • Ice Man • Frost Man|
Guts Man • Metal Man • Elec Man • Spark Man • Cloud Man • Heat Man
Napalm Man • Bubble Man • Freeze Man • Hard Man • Yamato Man • Tomahawk Man
Pharaoh Man • Burst Man • Dive Man • Aqua Man • Stone Man • Astro Man
Knight Man •Sword Man •Skull Man
|Characters and Enemies • Screws • Dr. Light's Laboratory • Items • Script|