- "I am Sunstar... The doomsday weapon... I must destroy all inferior life forms!"
- ―Sunstar, Mega Man V
Sunstar, known as Sungod (サンゴッド Sangoddo?) in Japan, is the final boss from the Game Boy game Mega Man V, a powerful robot that wants to dominate the entire universe. He is an ancient doomsday weapon from the same era of the Stardroids that was found by Dr. Wily in mysterious ruins.
After his defeat inside the Wily Star, Wily activates Sunstar to defeat Mega Man. However, Sunstar attacks Wily, who retreats. He still fights against Mega Man anyway, stating that robots were created only to fight and that he "must destroy all inferior life forms".
When Sunstar is defeated in the battle, Mega Man asks if he is alright and wants to take him for repairs in Dr. Light's Laboratory. Surprised with his kindness to an enemy, Sunstar asks why he is helping him, as both are robots created only to fight. Mega Man says he's wrong, and that he will only fight when it's needed to protect the world, and robots and humans can live together in peace. Sunstar thinks about what Mega Man said, but says he will never know as his fusion reactor was critically damaged and it could explode at any moment, and tells Mega Man to leave. Shortly after Mega Man's escape, Sunstar's explosion destroys the Wily Star.
Sunstar has three phases and is definitely not to take it very lightly:
- 1st phase: He charges a giant beam, being invincible while doing that. After charging enough energy, he releases it at once and then dashes to tackle Mega Man. This can be avoided by standing close enough to him and jumping very high on place (as there is low gravity, it makes jumping easier) just before he shoots the beam, so it misses and Sunstar also misses the tackle. Then he shoots three crawling, then rising orbs that rise when it reaches Mega Man. This can be avoided by jumping forward then returning to place so the orb gets tricked into rising and miss Mega Man. Sunstar is vulnerable when he finishes an attack. After he loses 1/3 of his health, he will shoot a fireball in Mega Man's direction that burns the floor, which has to be avoided by jumping and then falling into the hole it makes to advance to the next phase.
- 2nd phase: This time he fires three fire blasts from his arm cannon that are avoided by jumping over them. Then, he fires two sparks that bounce then incredibly rise. They are avoided by standing below them. He then finishes the strategy by leaping four times to the other side of the screen, which is avoided by timing a slide to go under him. This time, he is weak while attacking and while he is leaping. After sustaining another loss of another 1/3, he will shoot another fireball and advance to the last phase.
- Last phase: This time, he will charge himself (becoming invincible) and then turn into a rushing fireball that goes through the floor, rises a block tall, continues dashing, goes down along the floor again and stops the loop at the other side of the screen. This is difficult to avoid, but the player has to stand on the other side of the screen and jump when he rushes to avoid him, then jump again to avoid it again. Then, he rises and charges a destructive rain that also burns the floor, much like Toad Man. It is unavoidable, but Mega Man can stop Sunstar from doing so by shooting him before he summons the destructive rain, much again like Toad Man. This time, he is more vulnerable when he is about to summon the rain.
Sunstar has no primary weaknesses to any of the Special Weapons, but Mega Man can use Spark Chaser as it can hit Sunstar multiple times. Interestingly enough, like Uranus, he takes the same damage from a charged Mega Arm as an uncharged shot.
After defeating him, the last cutscenes will roll.
Mega Man & Bass CD data
Damage Data Chart
|Mega Buster/Arm||Grab Buster||Bubble Bomb||Photon Missile||Electric Shock||Black Hole||Deep Digger||Break Dash||Salt Water||Spark Chaser||Tango|
In the story Toward a Bright Tomorrow, Sunstar emerges from Dark Moon when Dark Moon and Terra were defeated by Mega Man in space. In the manga, Sunstar appears to be an empty armor with some parts made of fire. He and Mega Man do battle, all the while questioning Mega Man if it's worth fighting for the Earth and its people. Mega Man refuses to give up and believes in the people and eventually destroys Sunstar. He is described as being the ultimate doomsday weapon, capable of destroying the entire universe.
In issue 32, Sunstar and the Stardroids are on a giant orbiting space station, and they receive a message from Ra Moon who before shutting down tells them to avenge it. Coincidentally, when Needle Man is taken control of by Ra Moon earlier, he says "destroy all you inferior lifeforms", which is similar to what Sunstar himself said in the game.
- The reference to brushing teeth in Sunstar's data is probably a reference to its status as an early-morning activity. It makes sense that Sunstar would enjoy things done as the sun comes up.
- Like Quint, Sunstar is also mistakenly grouped with others, in his case the Stardroids, though he did come from the same era as them.
- Sunstar is the first final boss from the original Mega Man series that isn't Dr. Wily, and one of the few final bosses to hold this honor, the others being New Yellow Devil and Rockman Shadow.
- Sunstar and Pharaoh Man share some similarities in their designs, as they are based off the Egyptian Sun God Ra and an Egyptian Pharaoh respectively, the latter being considered descendants of the former.
|Mega Man V|
|List of Stardroids|
|Mercury • Venus • Mars • Jupiter • Saturn • Uranus • Pluto • Neptune|
|Dark Moon • Terra • Skull Blazer • Enker • Quint • Punk • Ballade • L. Knuckle and R. Knuckle • Brain Crusher • Sunstar|
|Mega Man's Special Weapons|
|Grab Buster • Bubble Bomb • Photon Missile • Electric Shock • Black Hole • Deep Digger • Break Dash • Salt Water • Spark Chaser|
|Mega Man's Support Items|
| Rush Coil • Rush Jet|
|List of Enemies|
| Alabell • Armaroid • Baby Flies • Birdy • Bikky Bomb • Biree Spark • Biribaree • Boostun • Byouz • Cannon Roader|
Chainsoar • Chunco • Doncatch • Elecit • Fankurow • Feeber • Fooley • Fukuhorn • G.S.Q • Handoo • Hell Metall DX
Kamapot • La Jaba • Malmet • Metall Sniper • Monkikki • Nibul • Ou-Ou • Palm Hopper • Parocket • Pikashu
Piriparee • Shaboan • Shuhorn • Sibul • Soshi Breaker • Swim Ball • Tamp • Wandering Head
|- Sub-bosses -|
|Gundrill • Hyoey • T. Khamen • Tyhorn|
|Damage Data Chart • Game Script|