RT-55J is a big sumo wrestler robot, and is an optional sub-boss in Sting Chameleon's stage. It guards the capsule where the First Armor Body Parts (Arm Parts in Mega Man Maverick Hunter X) upgrade can be found. In the remake Mega Man Maverick Hunter X and the Rockman X manga, it talks with a robotic voice. RT-55J attacks by jumping over the player and trying to catch him with its extendable claws, ramming the player in the wall if successful. If its claw hits a wall, sometimes it will pull itself into the wall to strike the player along the way. RT-55J also attacks with punches in Mega Man Maverick Hunter X. Its durable claws will repel all attacks, but the rest of its body is vulnerable. Attacks should be focused on the robot's head or its torso when its claws are deployed.
RT-55J will try to jump on X, and, if in range, he will shoot a claw out at X to try and grab him to slam him into a wall. If X has the Buster upgrade, keep charging to full level. If not, don't waste time charging, just shoot him rapidly. A good strategy is to wall-jump up a wall while he's jumping at X, then jump over and in front of him. He will try to jump on X or try to grab him with one of his claws. If he uses his claw, dash out of range and rapidly attack him. It will cause much more damage than a single charged shot. But even better is charge up while wall jumping, and do the aforementioned strategy, and when he sends out his claw, dash out of the way, release the charged shot and hit him with a flurry of normal shots.
Another easy strategy is to stay on the far edge of the screen and wait for RT-55J to jump. When he does, dash under him (assuming you have Leg Part, from Chill Penguin's stage). Take a charged shot at his head and repeat. As long as you are far enough across the screen, he will always jump instead of using his claw.
Hits Data Chart
|Mega Man X|
|Mega Buster||Shotgun Ice||Electric Spark||Rolling Shield||Homing Torpedo||Boomerang Cutter||Chameleon Sting||Storm Tornado||Fire Wave||Hadouken|
- For X-Buster, the four damage values are listed according to how long the weapon is charged. The first number is damage done with uncharged shots; the second number is when the weapon is charged slightly (cyan); third number is when the X-Buster is charged even more (yellow); fourth number is when the X-Buster is fully charged (pink).
- Sometimes, an uncharged shot will inflict two units of damage instead of one, if the enemy has just started moving or if X fires a shot while he is dashing.
- For the eight Special Weapons, the first number is damage done when the weapon is used in normal fire; the second is when the weapon is used in its charged state.
- For Chameleon Sting, as the weapon's secondary fire renders X invincible and is incapable of inflicting damage on enemies and bosses, the damage values list only the normal fire of this weapon.
- For Homing Torpedo, Boomerang Cutter, Storm Tornado and Fire Wave: the secondary fire for these weapons are capable of inflicting multiple hits on a target, so the values listed on the second number is the amount of damage done per hit, not the total amount of damage done.
- RT-55J seems to have a slight invincibility frame, so multiple shots may not count towards damage to him.
- Interestingly, RT-55J bears a striking resemblance to Auto, a robot Dr. Light made, both in the color scheme and appearance. Given the fact this robot guards one of Light's capsules, it is unknown if this was a coincidence or an actual reference to Auto.
- On a related note, the first part of its name, RT, contains the same first and last letters of "Rightot", the original Japanese name of Auto.
- There is a glitch that can be performed when fighting RT-55J. If you manage to be grasped by it the moment it is destroyed, you will be frozen in the air, as the game still registers that he is grabbing you. The player then is forced to reset after this.
- While RT-55J can be fought any time X revisits Sting Chameleon's stage in the SNES version of Mega Man X, he cannot be faced in Maverick Hunter X once the Arm Parts have been collected.
|Mega Man X|
|List of Mavericks|
| Chill Penguin • Spark Mandrill • Armored Armadillo • Launch Octopus |
Boomer Kuwanger • Sting Chameleon • Storm Eagle • Flame Mammoth
|Vile • Bospider • Rangda Bangda • D-Rex • Velguarder • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
| Shotgun Ice • Electric Spark • Rolling Shield • Homing Torpedo |
Boomerang Cutter • Chameleon Sting • Storm Tornado • Fire Wave
|Armor Parts • Mega Man X Walkthrough • List of Mega Man X enemies • Damage Data Chart • Script|