Nintendo Co., Ltd. (任天堂株式会社 Nintendō Kabushiki gaisha?) is a Japanese multinational consumer electronics and software company headquartered in Kyoto, Japan. Nintendo is the world's largest video game company by revenue. Founded on September 23, 1889, by Fusajiro Yamauchi, it originally produced handmade hanafuda playing cards. By 1963, the company had tried several small niche businesses, such as cab services and love hotels.
Abandoning previous ventures in favor of toys in the 1960s, Nintendo then developed into a video game company in the 1970s, ultimately becoming one of the most influential in the industry and Japan's third most-valuable company with a market value of over $85 billion.
Mega Man, the first game in the Mega Man franchise, was first released to the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES for short, known as Family Computer/Famicom in Japan), later followed by Mega Man 2-6 and Wily & Right's RockBoard: That's Paradise.
Many Mega Man games were later released in other Nintendo consoles, including:
- Mega Man 7, Rockman & Forte, Mega Man's Soccer, and the first three games from the Mega Man X series in the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).
- Five games from the original series and two from the Mega Man X series for Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
- Mega Man 64 for Nintendo 64.
- Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Mega Man X Collection, Mega Man X: Command Mission, and Mega Man Network Transmission for Nintendo GameCube.
- All four games from the Mega Man Zero series, eight of the games in the Mega Man Battle Network series, and Mega Man & Bass for Game Boy Advance.
- The three main games from the Mega Man Star Force series, the games in the Mega Man ZX series, Mega Man Zero Collection, Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team DS, and Rockman.EXE Operate Shooting Star for Nintendo DS.
- Mega Man Legacy Collection for Nintendo 3DS.
- And several Virtual Console releases for Wii, Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, most notably Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 for Wii.
Outside the series, Mega Man also had cameo and guest appearances in several games released for Nintendo systems, including, but not limited, to Capcom Quiz: Hatena? no Daibouken (Game Boy), the Boktai games (Game Boy Advance and Nintendo DS), Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Wii), Project X Zone (Nintendo 3DS), and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, the later having Mega Man as a playable character alongside popular Nintendo characters such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Samus Aran, Pit, and more.
Nintendo 3DS badges
- Nintendo Power
- Captain N: The Game Master
- Virtual Console
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U