Mega Man: Upon a Star, known as Rockman: Wish Upon a Star (ロックマン 星に願いを?) in Japan, is a 3-episode OVA made by Capcom in 1993, but it was only released in Japan. 9 years later, in 2002 it was imported to North America by ADV Films. The Mega Man characters are from the "game world", and they can appear in the "real world". Dr. Wily manages to exit the game world and tries to conquer the real world, and Mega Man has to stop him, learning about Japan while searching for Wily.
|Character||English voice actor||Japanese voice actor|
|Mega Man||Gregory Smith (Episode 1)|
Christopher Gray (Episodes 2 and 3)
|Dr. Wily||Scott McNeil||Ken'ichi Ogata|
|Dr. Light||Jim Byrnes||Hiroshi Naka|
|Proto Man||Kaj-Erik Eriksen||Urara Takano|
|Roll||Andrea Libman||Satomi Kōrogi|
|Rush||Terry Klassen (Episode 1)||Wataru Takagi|
|Yuuta Kobayashi||Brandon O'Bray (Episode 1)|
Sean Amsing (Episodes 2 & 3)
|Akane Kobayashi||Kelly Sheridan||Yuri Shiratori|
|Mr. Kobayashi||Campbell Lane||Kenichi Ono|
|Mrs. Kobayashi||Kathleen Barr (Episode 1)|
Cathy Weseluck (Episodes 2 & 3)
- While the American Mega Man animated series is considered to be the first Mega Man cartoon, Mega Man: Upon a Star was technically first. These shows were produced in 1993, a year before the American episodes were aired.
- These three shows may have been pseudo pilots for what would become the 1994 Mega Man series, as there are similarities between them. 
- The producers of the American series also served as the U.S. production consultants on these episodes, which would certainly add more credibility to the above theory.
- One of Mega Man's buster shot poses in the third episode has a striking resemblance to the one constantly shown in the Ruby-Spears cartoon.
- Scott McNeil and Jim Byrnes (who voiced Dr. Wily and Dr. Light on the American series) also provide their voices in this series.
- While Dr. Light sounds the same, Dr. Wily's voice is different. He does not have a German accent. Scott also voiced Beat, who sounded like Eddie does in the American series.
- Terry Klassen (who voiced Cut Man in the American series) actually voices Rush in the first episode.
- Kathleen Barr (who voiced Roll in the American series) does not voice as Roll, because Roll is much younger here. However, Kathleen did supply the voice of Yuuta and Akane's mom in the first episode.
- In the original second episode, Dr. Wily and Mega Man frequently curse in Japanese. However, the foul language was not included in the english dubbing of the episode, with the curses being replaced with words like, "Drat!" and "No!"
- Mega Man: Upon a Star in The Mechanical Maniacs.