|For the Mega Man ZX enemy, see Mechadragon.|
Mecha Dragon (メカドラゴン Mekadoragon?) is a giant robotic dragon boss from the Mega Man series. Most of the Mecha Dragon's body is a hydrogen balloon that allows it to fly. It mainly attacks by releasing flames from the mouth.
Video game appearances
Mecha Dragon is the first boss of the Wily Castle. When the Mecha Dragon appears, it will chase Mega Man breaking the platforms along the way, and at the end of the path battle will commence. It hovers on the left side of the screen shooting fireballs, and touching him is lethal. One strategy when facing it, is to stand on the top block to avoid falling into the pit and use Quick Boomerangs. Another and somewhat safer method, is to use the Mega Buster since it inflicts the same amount of damage and allows the player to keep their distance.
A third strategy that involves timing, patience, and caution requires the player to stand on the top block and lure Mecha Dragon to him, and once it approaches close enough the player must quickly climb down to the bottom block taking care not to get hit by the fireballs the creature occasionally spits, as they can knock Mega Man down into the bottomless pit below, losing a life. Once standing on the bottom platform, the player should shoot a Crash Bomber at its belly, and, although it does not seem at first that the boss receives any damage, the creature will quickly fly down towards the low platform where the player is standing while the explosions of the detonated weapon are still taking effect, reaching its head and dealing damage multiple times. Then, as the boss approaches again, the player should quickly climb back to the upper platform and repeat the process. If the player is successful at waiting for the right opportunity to time the detonations, it will take two to three turns to finish this boss battle using the bombs. However, this last method is not recommended for beginners, as it is too risky moving continuously from upper to lower blocks and vice-versa while watching out for or evading Mecha Dragon's attacks.
Mecha Dragon is the penultimate boss from the "Recover the new parts!" course. It releases flames and spits eggs that contain smaller versions of itself.
- Mecha Dragon appears in the opening scene from Mega Man 8. Also, in the beginning of the opening stage there is a skeleton in the background that resembles the Mecha Dragon.
- Mecha Dragon is a Team Battle Boss in Rockman ×over.
Amount of damage in units that the Mecha Dragon receives from each Special Weapon in Mega Man 2.
|Mega Man 2|
|Mode||Mega Buster||Metal Blade||Air Shooter||Bubble Lead||Quick Boomerang||Crash Bomber||Time Stopper||Atomic Fire||Leaf Shield|
The Mecha Dragon appears in issue #12 of the Mega Man comic by Archie Comics. It attacks eight of Dr. Light's Robot Masters-Bomb Man, Elec Man, Guts Man, Fire Man, Cut Man, Ice Man, Oil Man, and Time Man-when they enter the Wily Castle looking for Mega Man. The mechanical beast was joined in its attack by Mega Man, who was under Wily's control due to a virus. However, the Robot Masters succeeded in freeing their friend, who promptly destroyed the Mecha Dragon.
- A similar dragon, called Eregion, appears in Mega Man X4 as the intro boss, and the sub-boss in Mattrex's stage in Mega Man X5, the Pteranoid, acts similar to the Mecha Dragon. Coincidentally, the C-Shot, a weapon somewhat similar to the Quick Boomerang, is the latter's weakness.
- In the Nintendo Entertainment System game "Little Samson", there was a dragon boss who fought in nearly the same way as the Mecha Dragon.
- The Mecha Dragon appeared as the seventh boss in the popular game, I Wanna be the Guy. In this game, he doesn't shoot fire in streams like he does in Mega Man 2, but he can switch sides of the arena by splitting and reforming, which is a nod to the Yellow Devil. The arena in which the fight takes place, as well as the auto-scrolling section directly before it, are both similar to their respective sections in Mega Man 2. The music that plays during the fight is also the same boss music from Mega Man 2.
- In the artwork, Mecha Dragon is mostly yellow, but in Mega Man 2 and 8, it is green.
- A dragon that looks quite similar to the Mecha Dragon appears on the American "box art" for Mega Man 10.
- The Mecha Dragon is the only boss in the original series that can destroy Mega Man upon direct contact, similar to hitting spikes.
- Although it laid eggs in Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters, it is unknown if Mecha Dragon is female.
|Mega Man 2|
|List of Robot Masters|
|Metal Man • Air Man • Bubble Man • Quick Man • Crash Man • Flash Man • Heat Man • Wood Man|
|Mecha Dragon • Picopico-kun • Guts Tank • Boobeam Trap • Wily Machine 2 • Alien|
|Mega Man's Special Weapons|
|Metal Blade • Air Shooter • Bubble Lead • Quick Boomerang • Crash Bomber • Time Stopper • Atomic Fire • Leaf Shield|
|Mega Man's Support Items|
|Item-1 • Item-2 • Item-3|
|List of Enemies|
| "Acid" • Anko • Batton • Big Fish • Blocky • Changkey • Changkey Maker • Copipi • Claw • Fly Boy • Goblin • Kaminari Goro • Kerog|
Kukku • M-445 • Matasaburo • Mole • Monking • Neo Metall • Petit Goblin • "Petit Kerog" • Pierrobot • Pipi • Press • Returning Sniper Joe
Robbit • Scworm • Shotman • Shrink • Sniper Armor • Springer • Tanishi • Telly
|- Sub-bosses -|
|Game Script • List of Enemies • Damage Data Chart • Miscellaneous Data|
|Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters|
|List of Playable Characters|
|Mega Man • Proto Man • Bass • Duo|
|List of Bosses|
| - Search for Wily! -|
Shadow Man • Plant Man • Gyro Man • Centaur Man • Bubble Man • Heat Man
- Rescue Roll! -
Cut Man • Stone Man • Shade Man • Elec Man • Dive Man • Slash Man
- Recover the new parts! -
Guts Man • Pharaoh Man • Air Man • Quick Man • Gemini Man • Napalm Man
- Dr. Wily -
|List of Special Weapons|
| Shadow Blade • Plant Barrier • Gyro Attack • Centaur Arrow • Bubble Lead • Atomic Fire|
Rolling Cutter • Power Stone • Noise Crush • Thunder Beam • Dive Missile • Slash Claw
Super Arm • Pharaoh Wave • Air Shooter • Quick Boomerang • Gemini Laser • Napalm Bomb
|Rush • Beat • Treble|