- "Yes. Whatever you say... That's what you expect to hear from me, right? You know nobody will obey like that, don't you."
- ―Mattrex, Mega Man X5
Mattrex, known as Burn Dinorex (バーン・ディノレックス Bān Dinorekkusu?) in Japan, is a Reploid from Mega Man X5 based on a Tyrannosaurus. Mattrex was a member of Repliforce's disaster prevention team and is among the survivors of the Repliforce incident in Mega Man X4.
Mattrex was stationed in a volcano in the northeast of Africa. Without Repliforce's knowledge, he had created an illegal warehouse to hide weapons he had created using magma energy. In Mega Man X5, the Maverick Hunters discovered that Mattrex had a rocket Booster Engine necessary for the Space Shuttle. But, as he didn't trust the Hunters, he assumed that they had come to retire him for his activities and attacked, leaving X or Zero no other choice but to destroy him as a Maverick. It's unknown if he had succumbed to the Sigma Virus.
Using his Ground Fire ability, Mattrex can either set fire to the ground or create small clusters of flames; he can also leave flaming eruptions in his wake while performing a dash attack. Air is his weakness, so use The Skiver's weapon, Wing Spiral (with X) or W-Shredder (with Zero) to bring him down quickly.
Powers & Abilities
- Ground Fire (グランドファイア) - Matrex shoots two fireballs from his mouth in a downward arc against X or Zero.
- After losing 75% of his health, Mattrex's Ground Fire becomes a steady stream of flame from his mouth across the ground.
- Fireball (ファイアボール) - Mattrex clings to either wall and shoots three fireballs from his mouth.
- Tackle (タックル) - Mattrex lowers his head and charges with this back flaming at X or Zero, usually at an upward angle.
- Burn Tackle (バーンタックル) - Mattrex covers himself in flames and headbutts X or Zero on the ground. A trail of fire that rises from the ground will follow after he does this move. This move is similar to Flame Stag's Rushing Burner except larger and more powerful.
Nickname: "Jurassic Inferno" (ジュラシックインフェルノ)
When playing as X
Mattrex: Why have you come this far?
X: I want your Booster Engine. I have evidence that this is a secret warehouse for weapons. You know what's happening to the Earth... Now give it to me!
Mattrex: Yes. Whatever you say... That's what you expect to hear from me, right? You know nobody will obey like that, don't you. So why don't you fight as always and force me to give it to you. That's if you have the guts to... Hee Hee Hee Hee...
X: Why do Reploids always have to fight each other? Darn! Do I have to fight again?!
Mattrex: Come, it's time to do what we do best. Let's fight and enjoy ourselves! Just like always!
Mattrex: Maverick Hunter... The ones who bring death to Reploids... So, you came here to kill me? I'm ready anytime, if you want to fight me! Soon the Earth will be destroyed. There's nothing to do now but fight... to the death!
Mattrex: Maverick Hunter... The ones who bring death to the Reploids... So you came here to finish me? Well, I'm ready to fight anytime! Soon the Earth will be destroyed. There's nothing to do but fight now... to the death!
When Playing as Zero
Mattrex: Why did you come here, Zero? So, the Maverick terminator's here... Does this mean it's time for me to die?
Zero: No. I just came for the Booster Engine.
Mattrex: Ghaa ha ha! That's not all you want from me, is it, Hunter? ...You want to take my life, don't you? You want to fight me, don't you?
Zero: If you insist, then I accept your challenge.
Mattrex: Bring it on, Sinister Hunter!
Mattrex: Zero... You've come here to retire me, even when the Earth is about to come to an end... So you really do want to fight for as long as you live, don't you.
Zero: I'll fight you, if you want.
Mattrex: Then fight me, you Hunter scum!
Mattrex: Zero... You've come here to retire me, even when the Earth is about to come to an end... You really want to fight for as long as you live, don't you.
Zero: I'll fight you, if you want.
Mattrex: Then prepare yourself, you Maverick Hunter scum!
In the Mega Man comics crossover event Worlds Unite, which also included the Sonic the Hedgehog line (both regular and the Sonic Universe variants) and that of Sonic Boom, Mattrex-going by his Japanese name of Burn Dinorex-appears as part of Sigma-1's Maverick army. He and Gigabolt were later dispatched over to the world of Panzer Dragoon, more specifically to the Drowned Ruins, and planted the Unity Engine. He also proceeded to fight against Bubble Man and Rotor the Walrus, with his eventually being taken down via Bubble Lead and Drill Rush, respectively. However, despite the two's best efforts, Dinorex nonetheless managed to activate the Unity Engine, although not before spitefully cursing Gigavolt for leaving him behind out of cowardice under labored breaths.
Our third shot in the fantasy series. (grin) Our first, by the way, was X4's Dragoon. I think the fantasy series will be discontinued after this. (bitter laugh) This character didn't have enough capacity, and the designer in charge had a real tough time of it. Instead, we gave him a comparative abundance of attack patterns. Sorry about that.
- In the American version, Mattrex was named after Matt Sorum, the former drummer of the rock band Guns N' Roses.
- Mattrex's mugshot in the beta had him facing left, where as in the final, he's facing forward as the other Mavericks (with the exception of Duff McWhalen).
- The background music used in Mattrex's stage is similar in composition to the theme used in Sigma Fortress Stage 2 from the original Mega Man X.
- ↑ Mega Man X Official Complete Works, UDON Entertainment Corp. 2009. pg.51. Retrieved on December 24, 2011.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Rockman Elysium: Production notes about the cast of X5
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Capcom Community: X5 Developer/Designer Note translations
- ↑ Protodude's Rockman Corner: Alyson Court Talks Mega Man X5 Guns N' Roses References
- ↑ The Cutting Room Floor: Mega Man X5 prototype
|Mega Man X5|
|List of Mavericks|
|Grizzly Slash • Duff McWhalen • Squid Adler • Izzy Glow • Dark Dizzy • The Skiver • Mattrex • Axle the Red|
|Sigma Head • Magma Dragoon • Dynamo • Shadow Devil • Rangda Bangda W • Zero • Mega Man X • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
|C-Shot • Goo Shaver • Tri-Thunder • F-Laser • Dark Hold • Wing Spiral • Ground Fire • Spike Ball|
|Zero's Special Techniques|
|C-Sword • F-Splasher • E-Blade • C-Flasher • Dark Hold • W-Shredder • Quake Blazer • Twin Dream|
| - Mega Man X -|
Force Armor • Falcon Armor • Gaea Armor • Ultimate Armor
- Zero -
|Hunter Base • Zero Space|
|Walkthrough • Parts • List of Enemies • Eurasia • Enigma • Space Shuttle|
Damage Data Chart (X) • Damage Data Chart (Zero) • Game Script (X's story) • Game Script (Zero's story)