Foot Parts - X can use the Variable Air Dash (ヴァリアブルエアダッシュ?). While in the air, X can dash straight forward or straight upward.
- Foot Chip - Allows X to use the Variable Air Dash twice, or dash jump and air-dash in the same jump.
Body Parts - Damage is reduced by half. When X is struck by an enemy's attack, a blue Defense Shield (ディフェンスシールド?) is generated and additional damage is reduced. The amount of damage reduced with the force field active is 25% (approx. 62.5% total damage reduction).
- Body Chip - In addition to a 50% reduction in damage, an orange force field is projected rather than a blue one. Additional damage is reduced even further. The amount of damage reduced with the force field active is 50% (approx. 75% total damage reduction).
Arm Parts - X gains a second X-Buster, and can charge up to four charge levels. At the fourth, X can fire out a Cross Charge Shot (クロスチャージショット?) by shooting both arm cannons in rapid succession. When the Armor is fully assembled, X uses half the weapon energy for his Special Weapons. It can also make X climb ladders faster.
- Arm Chip - Gives X access to the Hyper Charge (ハイパーチャージ?), which enables unlimited charge shots as long as it has weapon energy.
Head Parts - X gains a ground-penetrating Item Radar (アイテムレーダー?) that shows a map of the stage when X beams in. Life Ups, Sub Tanks, Ride Armors, and Armor Capsules are highlighted. These are also indicated on the stage select screen, color-coded to show which ones have not been found yet.
- Head Chip - X can stand still and regenerate energy at a slow rate. This can also be used to fill Sub Tanks.
Hyper Chip - Assuming X did not get any of the four upgrading chips in any of the boss stages and collected all of the other items, he can gain all of them in Doppler Stage A with the Third Armor turning into gold. This armor also causes X's energy to regenerate more quickly and the Hyper Charge to use up less energy. However, it is not saved in passwords, so it must be re-obtained whenever the console is turned off.
Beam Saber - Though technically not a part of the armor, it still goes here, since it serves the same purpose as an upgrade to X's offense. If Vile MK-II is destroyed using either the Ray Splasher or Spinning Blade before the final stages, the sub-boss in Doppler Stage 2 (Vile) is replaced by Mosquitus. If Zero is called before entering the room, he will be able to fight this boss, unlike bosses before or after this, where X takes over for Zero. After defeating it, it will land on Zero, seriously damaging him. Zero will then give his saber to X before teleporting back to the Hunter Base. Without the Arm Parts, X will simply swing the saber, much like Zero. If the Arm Parts are received, X's final charge level (Red) is replaced with a green one, much like Zero. After firing the two shots, X can swing the saber, this time creating a shockwave that can hit enemies at a distance. Both the standalone saber and the shockwave do a very severe amount of damage; so much so that bosses, including Sigma and Kaiser Sigma, can be defeated with 2 slashes.
Armor Part Locations
- Head Part: Tunnel Rhino's stage. Requires the Triad Thunder and the Arm Part.
- Head Chip: Blast Hornet's stage.
- Body Part: Volt Catfish's stage. Use a charged Gravity Well in the vertical spiked area to reach it. Alternatively, one could use the Foot Chip's double up-dash to bypass the annoying buster upgrade.
- Body Chip: Crush Crawfish's stage.
- Arm Part: Neon Tiger's stage. Requires the Tornado Fang and the Foot Part.
- Arm Chip: Gravity Beetle's stage.
- Foot Part: Blizzard Buffalo's stage.
- Foot Chip: Toxic Seahorse's stage.
- The armor is often mistakenly referred to as "Max Armor" by the fans, due to the Bandai model kit from the Mega Armor series naming it as such, and naming the golden variation as "X3 Hyper Special". It is however, unnamed, just like the First Armor and Second Armor. The term Max in its model name was actually meant to signify the full armor, as in the Maximum X3 Armor, not an actual name.
- Three versions of the Third Armor were released in the Mega Armor Series: The original white version originally, the chrome Golden version, and a Silver version of the Golden armor. The White "Max Armor" and Golden "X3 Hyper Special" armors were originally released in plastic bagged add-on kits, while the Silver armor was released as part of a 4 pack of model kits. All three versions of the armor later received individual full figure releases.
- The "X3 Hyper Special" Model kit depicts X's soft armor as black instead of gold, a coloration that is never seen anywhere else.
- Although it might be a glitch, the leg upgrade in the SNES version gives you the ability to jump on water. The same goes for the Second Armor.
- In the manga adaptation of Mega Man X3, the Third Armor was not achieved by use of a capsule, but instead collected piece by piece by the reformed Mavericks X spared throughout the story, and delivered to him by Marty as part of a rescue mission after being he and Zero were captured by Bit and Byte, making it the first armor X received as a complete set instead of individual pieces. The armor was only used briefly, being damaged beyond use in the battle against Sigma, and was destroyed along with X's body against Kaiser Sigma. X's body managed to reconstitute itself, wearing the golden version of the Third Armor. After destroying Kaiser Sigma, X discarded the Third Armor, leaving the helmet behind in the wreckage of Doppler and Sigma's base.
- In the prototype version, the white parts of X's hard armor was supposed to be changeable depending of which enhancement chip was used; this was changed because the color changes conflict with X's orbs if he loses a life.
|Mega Man X Series Armors and Power-ups|
|"First Armor" • "Second Armor" • "Third Armor" • Fourth Armor • Falcon Armor • Gaea Armor • Blade Armor • Shadow Armor • Glide Armor • Neutral Armor (Icarus Armor • Hermes Armor) • Ultimate Armor|
|Black Zero • White Axl|
|Rockman X Mega Mission armors|
|Clear Armor • Replicapture • Energy Armor • Neo Armor • Giga Armor • X Armor • All X Armor|
|X's armors • Zero's Forms • Hyper Mode|
|Mega Man X3|
|List of Mavericks|
|Toxic Seahorse • Tunnel Rhino • Volt Catfish • Crush Crawfish • Neon Tiger • Gravity Beetle • Blast Hornet • Blizzard Buffalo|
|Maoh the Giant • Vile MK-2 • Bit • Byte • Godkarmachine O Inary • Press Disposer • Volt Kurageil • Dr. Doppler • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
| Acid Burst • Tornado Fang • Triad Thunder • Spinning Blade • Ray Splasher • Gravity Well • Parasitic Bomb • Frost Shield |
- Other -
| - Mega Man X -|
|Walkthrough • List of Mega Man X3 enemies • Damage Data Chart • Game Script|