- "Data-wise, I've surpassed you... There's no chance for me to lose!"
- ―High Max, Mega Man X6
High Max, known as HI-MAX (ハイマックス Hai Makkusu?) in Japan, is an antagonist from Mega Man X6. Created by Gate from a piece of Zero's DNA, he acts as a false leader in the "investigation" of the Zero Nightmare, goading other Reploids into working with him. High Max is shown to be very arrogant and considers himself superior to both X and Zero in terms of specs. When they defeat him, he expresses surprise that they were able to do so.
By defeating High Max in a secret area hidden within one of the eight Investigator stages, Gate will challenge the Maverick Hunters directly, and the first Secret Laboratory stage will become accessible, even without having to defeat the remaining Mavericks, if any.
High Max will descend alternately from either the left or right side of the screen. He will ascend and change his position each time he is damaged or when he finishes an attack. When first encountered, he is practically invincible and X must simply outlast him. When encountered again, whether in the secret areas (after Zero is unlocked) or in Gate's Lab, the player must get creative to defeat him. X should stun him with charged X-Buster, then use any special weapon to damage him. Even though Magma Blade is considered his weakness, any one of them is effective damage wise, with Metal Anchor recommended for its firing angle that can hit from diagonally below to damage him or the Yammar Option would be a good option to damage High Max because Dragonflies (Yammar Option) can fire in all directions, having a chance to hit with accuracy to High Max when he is stun. The Shadow Armor's charged attack is also effective against him, and High Max also takes considerable damage from said armor's Giga Attack; likewise, the Ultimate Armor's Nova Strike is also highly damaging. Zero should do the exact reverse of this strategy — use Shouenzan or any other special move to stun him, followed by regular Z-Saber strikes. During the final confrontation, High Max will immediately surround himself with two destructible rectangular shields. His new attack patterns include:
- High Max will fire off several quick energy balls at X/Zero. Dashing from one spot to another can evade this attack easily.
- After an attack or after he is damaged, High Max will drop down and hover from one end of the screen to the other and disappear off the top. Squatting down can avoid this easily.
- High Max will charge a small energy ball, then surround himself in two rings. He is invulnerable during this period. Alternately, during the final confrontation, he will instead surround himself with two rectangular shields, one at the front and one at the back. These can be destroyed with a powerful attack in a single hit such as Zero's Rekkouha or Ensuizan. High Max also takes considerable damage from Zero's Z-Buster, Sentsuizan or Rakukoujin, as well as X's charged Guard Shell once the shields are down. The player should also note then when High Max goes from one side of the screen to the other (and that the player has not destroyed the two rectangular shields) the player will still take damage even when squatting down.
- High Max will charge a large energy ball and slam it against the wall. Alternately, he will stay in one spot and fire off the large energy ball from his chest that follows the same pattern as his hovering.
- During the final confrontation, when the player manages to destroy High Max's shields five times in a row, High Max will hover to the center of the screen and repeatedly fire off large energy balls until he is damaged or when the player dies.
- * See Main Article: High Max/Dialogues
After X defeats the Giant Mechaniloid D-1000
(A purple phantom Zero appears, finishes off the Mechaniloid and then vanishes.)
Alia: Z... Zero!?
??: I knew Zero was doing this.
X: Who are you!?
??: High Max... I am called... I'm investigating the Zero Nightmare.
X: What! Did you say the Zero Nightmare?
High Max: What are you trying to do? What is your connection to the Zero Nightmare?
X: What about Zero? You are behind this!
High Max: You are dangerous... I'll dispose of you.
High Max: Maverick Hunter... Not amazing. We will destroy the Zero Nightmare. You are not wanted here. Keep out.
X: I could not inflict any damage on him... High Max. The Zero... Night...mare... Hmm, did I dream about Zero? What is happening?
After Defeating High Max in a Secret Area
When Playing as X
High Max: No! I can't believe this. I'm superior to him in every respect, the speed, the power and the body... An old robot like you can't beat me... This can't be true!!
Isoc: Ummmm. High Max is down... Kugh! We'd better withdraw for now!
X: Wait! You can't escape!
Isoc: You ancient piece of junk, it's not over! I'll destroy you myself! For the time being, farewell!
Signas: X! Cool down! We don't want to lose you. You may be damaged in the battle. Return to the Hunter Base, now!
X: Darn! So close... But I must be cautious... Roger that! I'll be back.
When Playing as Zero
- *See Dialogues: Isoc
Final Confrontation Against High Max
When Playing as X
High Max: Data-wise, I've surpassed you... There's no chance for me to lose!
X: Are you still babbling about things like that? I just have to win!
When Playing as Zero
High Max: Just die! Die, original one!
Zero: What is he saying? Anyway, it's time to finish!
|X vs High Max||X vs High Max: Gate's Lab|
- High Max has two common quotes during battle - one is "Death Ball" (デスボル Desu Boru?) which is presumably the name of the large blue energy sphere attack he utilizes when saying the line, and he will often follow up with "Muda da" ("It's useless"), presumably referring to X's inability to damage him.
- High Max bore several similarities to the Dragon Ball Z villain Cell. Both characters were created by mad scientists with a particular obsession/grudge against the main protagonist(s), both characters were developed using in part the protagonists' template, both characters emphasized perfection to such an extent that they came across as haughty as a result, and both characters even shared the same Japanese voice actor, Norio Wakamoto.
|Mega Man X6|
|List of Mavericks|
| Commander Yammark • Ground Scaravich • Blaze Heatnix • Blizzard Wolfang • Rainy Turtloid |
Metal Shark Player • Shield Sheldon • Infinity Mijinion
|D-1000 • Zero Nightmare • Dynamo • Nightmare Mother • High Max • Gate • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
|Yammar Option • Ground Dash • Magma Blade • Ice Burst • Meteor Rain • Metal Anchor • Guard Shell • Ray Arrow|
|Zero's Special Techniques|
|Yammar Option • Sentsuizan • Shoenzan • Hyoroga • Ensuizan • Rakukojin • Guard Shell • Rekkoha|
| - Mega Man X -|
Falcon Armor • Blade Armor • Shadow Armor • Ultimate Armor
- Zero -
| Walkthrough • Parts • Rescuable Reploids • List of Enemies |
Damage Data Chart (X) • Damage Data Chart (Zero) • Game Script (X's story) • Game Script (Zero's story)