Gamma (ガンマ Ganma?) is a giant robot constructed by Dr. Light and Dr. Wily before and during the events of Mega Man 3 for the purpose of peacekeeping and enforcement. During Gamma's construction, Dr. Wily feigned peacefulness, gaining Dr. Light's trust and assistance long enough to complete the robot. Dr. Wily's true intentions were to use the enormous creation as a weapon, furthering his evil plans for world domination.
Gamma is the final boss of Mega Man 3. In its first form, it has a small blue head that shoots from its mouth. The simplest way to defeat this form is to stand directly underneath the head and use Shadow Blade. Alternately, the head is also weak to Hard Knuckle. After destroying the small head, Wily completes Gamma's head and controls him, attacking with shots and punches. Gamma's second form is very vulnerable to Top Spin, and can be defeated in seconds by using it rapidly against Wily. If desiring more of a challenge, use the Search Snake.
Damage Data Chart
Amount of damage in units that Gamma receives from each Special Weapon in Mega Man 3.
|Mega Buster||Needle Cannon||Magnet Missile||Gemini Laser||Hard Knuckle||Top Spin||Search Snake||Spark Shock||Shadow Blade|
- Top Spin can take advantage of Gamma Phase 2's lack of invincibility frames to chain multiple damage frames together, possibly defeating Gamma Phase 2 in a single attack.
In the cartoon, Gamma is a giant yellow ball robot with blue details. He has a large smile and the peace symbol drawn on him, as Gamma was originally created for peace. It also has a cockpit in the top of his head, where Dr. Wily controls it.
In the manga, Gamma appeared in the story "Asteroid Blues", which is based on the events of Mega Man 3. Mega Man fights against him in space. Gamma also had a brief appearance in the beginning of the story "Metal Heart" from Mega Man Megamix.
Gamma made a brief appearance in Mega Man 20, Rock of Ages, when Mega Man was transported to the time of Mega Man 3.
Gamma was also briefly mentioned in Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 250, by Dr. Light, when noting the prior instances where Mega Man saved Wily from himself when his plans were a success, hinting that Gamma might have either betrayed him or otherwise gone completely out of his control.
- Gamma (Γ) is the third letter of the Greek alphabet. He is the first in the Mega Man franchise to have a Greek letter for a name although three other characters, Epsilon (Ε), Sigma (Σ) and Omega (Ω), share the same naming convention.
- Coincidentally Gamma, Omega and Alpha are the only ones not from the X series with this trend.
- Gamma's small head during its first form seems to have the Greek letter, Gamma (Γ), on its forehead.
- In Mega Man X5, Sigma's final form is modeled after Gamma, and has a very similar attack pattern, from deadly spiked fists to shooting energy spheres out. In addition, a portion of Gamma's theme can be heard during the fight.