Cross Fusion (クロスフュージョン Kurosu Fyūjon?) is a specific term used in the MegaMan NT Warrior (Rockman EXE) anime series. Through the use of a "Synchro Chip" while in a "Dimensional Area," a NetNavi and its operator can merge into one being, while possessing two consciousnesses (if not in Full Synchro).
Researching ways to transfer network data into the real world, Yuichiro Hikari studies the phenomenon produced by the Dimensional Core, a sphere of energy that allows viruses to exit the Cyber World. His experiments lead him to test devices known as Synchro Chips (シンクロチップ Shinkuro Chippu?) in the presence of Dimensional Areas (the successor to the Dimensional Core) to create hybrid beings through Cross Fusion. But, it is risky for it can drain the energy of both the NetOp and NetNavi leaving damage to the human and NetNavi body, where any wounds to one entity will harm the other in exactly the same place (E.g. a cut to the face on a NetOp will show as a cut to the face on the NetNavi as well).
The process of Cross Fusion is initiated manually by an operator by downloading (slotting in) a Synchro Chip into his/her PET while his/her surroundings are enveloped by the Dimensional Area dome, which is itself regulated by either Dimensional Converters or Dimensional Generators. As a result of this transformation, an operator and his/her Navi can fight together without the need of downloading Battle Chips, as well as scan for weak points in the defenses of their enemies. In the Japanese version, a Navi's name gains the prefix "R-" after Cross Fusion takes place.
The factor that determines whether or not an operator is able to Cross Fuse is known as the Synchro Rating. A person with a higher rate is more likely able to Cross Fuse than one who has a low rate. If an operator and his/her Navi are not getting along and always arguing, Cross Fusion is not possible. The operator and Navi must be in perfect harmony in order for the transformation to take place (although there are a few exceptions, see below). The operators also risk possible danger, as their bodies cannot be repaired or restored like a Navi's data and the Navi itself resides in the fused Op's chest, where a direct hit could possibly mean deletion. With certain operators, pieces of clothing or accessories that the operators wear are broken down into data, and are sent to the PET when the fusion is finished. However, on several occasions, Raika's hat fails to rematerialize after a Dimensional Area is removed, and those belonging to Princess Pride never return at all, with one exception.
In the Stream storyline, the government created a taskforce formed by thirteen people able to use Cross Fusion. They were all given the Crest of Duo and fight Asteroid Navis, Darkloids and Duo. Many of the Cross Fusion members were part of Team ProtoMan or Team Colonel in the game Mega Man Battle Network 5. However, Higsby and Ribitta have been replaced with Mayl Sakurai and Ms. Yuri.
Initially, only Lan Hikari (Netto Hikari) and Eugene Chaud (Enzan Ijuuin) possess the ability to Cross Fuse. Dr. Regal combined Synchro Chips stolen from Science Labs with his own Dark Chips into Dark Synchro Chips (ダークシンクロチップ Dāku Shinkuro Chippu?), which allow anyone to Cross Fuse regardless of their Synchro Rating, but with the addictive side effects of regular Dark Chips. Regal, his second-in-command Ms. Yuri (Yuriko Ozono), and Misaki (Gorou Misaki), would all use Dark Synchro Chips to Cross Fuse, though only Misaki showed signs of withdrawal symptoms and Dark Soul influence due to being the only person out of the three who was not a probe of the extraterrestrial Duo. The Rush Synchro Chip, first used by ShadeMan to enter the real world without a Dimensional Area, can also enhance the user's Synchro Rating. It is created when Rush combines with the Synchro Chip around his neck, and is later used by Mayl Sakurai (Meiru Sakurai) to Cross Fuse.
Cross Fusion becomes a main plot point in the Stream storyline. The alien Duo marks thirteen individuals with naturally high Synchro Ratings with the Crests of Duo to prove whether or not humankind is worthy of surviving his judgment. In addition to Lan, Chaud, and Ms. Yuri (who receives a regular Synchro Chip from Wily), ten other characters would gain the ability, their ranks forming the Cross Fusion Members opposed to Duo. The new PET design introduced in Stream pre-installs Battle Chips for Cross Fusion, whereas in Axess, the chips had to be downloaded individually before initiating Cross Fusion.
Cross Fusion continues to appear throughout Beast, though not to the same degree. Due to the incomplete nature of the Beyondard Dimensional Area (the "Beast Factor" having created a half-merging of the Cyberworld with the real world), Cross Fusion is not recommended because it hurts the operator more the longer it is used. Again, the new PET design serves an additional function for Cross Fusion: the Jet Vernier, a form of rocket propulsion that permits flight. However, only Lan, Chaud, and Raika utilize this feature. Leading up to the finale of Beast, the Cross Fusion Members return to fend off the Zoanoroid armies.
In Beast+, criminals Blackbeard (Captain Kurohige) and Yuika (Chirol) obtain Reverse Synchro Chips (逆シンクロチップ Gyaku Shinkuro Chippu?) created by Wily. Mistaking them for regular Synchro Chips, they are transferred to the Cyberworld, fused with their Navis. As the Chips were incomplete, they would have eventually been erased had Wily not rescued them in the nick of time.
Characters able to use Cross Fusion
- Lan Hikari and MegaMan.EXE (Three versions)
- Mayl Sakurai and Roll.EXE
- Chaud Blaze and ProtoMan.EXE (Three versions)
- Baryl and Colonel.EXE
- Princess Pride and KnightMan.EXE
- Dark Miyabi and ShadowMan.EXE
- Dingo and TomahawkMan.EXE
- Raika and SearchMan.EXE (Two versions)
- Charlie Airstar and GyroMan.EXE
- Jasmine and Meddy.EXE
- Tesla Magnus and MagnetMan.EXE
- Fyrefox and NapalmMan.EXE
- Chaud Blaze and Dark ProtoMan.EXE
- Ms. Yuri and NeedleMan.EXE
- Gorou Misaki and PrismMan.EXE (Only in episode 34 of Axess)
- Dr. Regal and LaserMan.EXE (Only in episode 51 of Axess)
- Blackbeard and DiveMan.EXE (Only in episode 10 of Beast+)
- Yuika and CircusMan.EXE (Only in episode 10 of Beast+)
- Two other Mega Man series have concepts comparable to Cross Fusion: ZX has MegaMerging, and Star Force has EM Wave Changing.
- Both techniques imitate Cross Fusion is several ways: The unison of a special power and a human (or in the case of ZX, Reploid), the repeated command to activate it, and the fact that the human inherits the powers of the object in some sort of "living" armor, like A-Trans, Tribe On, or Double Soul.
- Only seventeen people have actually Cross Fused successfully. Eighteen total have attempted it (Dex tried to, but failed).
- The thirteen people who Cross Fuse normally (with a normal Synchro Chip and not a variation) are the Navi/Net Op teams from "Megaman: Battle Network 5: Team Protoman" and "Megaman: Battle Network 5: Team Colonel" with Roll instead of Toadman and Spikeman instead of Numberman (due to Yuri's involvement).
- ↑ Rockman EXE Beast+ Episode #8, 2006
- ↑ Rockman EXE Stream Episode #42, 2005
- ↑ MegaMan NT Warrior: Axess / Rockman EXE Axess Episode #3, 2003
- ↑ Rockman EXE Beast Episode #25, 2006
- ↑ MegaMan NT Warrior: Axess / Rockman EXE Axess Episode #34, 2004
- ↑ Rockman EXE Beast Episode #1, 2006
- ↑ Rockman EXE Beast+ episodes #9-10, 2006
|Mega Man Battle Network Transformations|
|Beast Out • Cross Fusion • Cross MegaMan • Cross System • Double Soul/Chaos Unison • Style Change • Trans Arm|
|Chng.BAT • Dark Chip • Synchro Chips|