Centaur Man (ケンタウロスマン Kentaurosuman?, also known as "Kentauros Man") is a Robot Master that originally worked as a tour guide in an old archeology museum, but was later modified for combat. His Special Weapon is the Centaur Flash - a unique system that grants Centaur Man space distortion abilities, allowing him to temporarily halt time. Whilst a powerful weapon, the main drawback is that he has to consume a large amount of energy to use it.
In order to complement his attacking abilities, he is also equipped with the ability to teleport over short distances, and a specially-designed Buster on his right arm whose shots spread on impact. He later gains the ability to fire arrow-shaped bursts of energy in multiple directions for an attack known as the Centaur Arrow.
Centaur Man is a uniquely-designed Robot Master in how he walks on four legs rather than the biped designs usually employed by Dr. Wily's other creations- resembling the mythical creature his name references. This design gives him great resilience, speed and agility compared to his colleagues, but he lacks the ability to jump.
Whilst strong-willed and known for being good at making decisions quickly and effectively, he is also something of a deep thinker, and has a tendency to dwell on his past regrets too much. Centaur Man enjoys gambling in his spare time, but perhaps owing to his horse-like design, dislikes whips.
Video game appearances
When Centaur Man heard about the 1st Annual Robot Tournament, he entered the competition to restore the museum he worked on with the prize money. However, he was reprogrammed by Mr. X alongside other robots in the competition to help him conquer the world, and Mega Man has no choice but to fight them.
In combat, Centaur Man attacks by shooting a projectile that splits onto seven and spread out when it comes on contact with a wall. The player has to avoid it by finding an opening through the bullets and going through it. After that, he has two attacks: he may also run to tackle Mega Man, which is avoided by jumping over him, or also disappear, then reappear where Mega Man was when he disappeared and attack. He also activates the Centaur Flash to stop time sufficient enough to shoot a bullet to the wall and make the spread out bullets hit Mega Man. He is weak to Knight Man's Knight Crusher, which defeats him in seven hits.
- "You can go through his legs by sliding if you can time it right. Centaur Man can't jump. Remember this!"
- —Dr. Light
Centaur Man is one of the six bosses in the "Search for Wily!" course. He uses the Centaur Arrow, an energy arrow shot diagonally up or down from his arm cannon. He also uses a shield for defense, a naginata, and has the help of Heli Metalls. He is weak to Gyro Man's Gyro Attack.
- Centaur Man has a cameo appearance in the opening scene of Mega Man 8.
- Centaur Man appears in the Mega Man & Bass database.
Mega Man 6 stats
- Energy: Dry Battery
- Height: 155 cm (5.09 feet)
- Weight: 172 kg (379 lbs.)
- Attack: 35
- Defense: 47
- Mobile: 205
Translation: Robot with the motif of a legendary creature. Fight in the center of the screen as much as possible. In the corner the divided shot would hit.
Translation: A robot developed with the motif of a legendary creature, was popular in an antiquities museum, wants the prize of the robot championship to rebuild the museum. What kind of ability he has is unknown.
Centaur Man's stage, Ancient City (エンシェントシティ?), is a high-tech area that resembles ancient ruins, mostly covered with water. Mega Man submerges in one part of the stage, which leads to an area where the water is floating above him. There are two boss rooms in the end of the stage, the top room being only accessible as Jet Mega Man.
Damage Data Chart
Amount of damage in units that Centaur Man receives from each Special Weapon in Mega Man 6.
|Mega Man 6|
|Mega Buster||Blizzard Attack||Centaur Flash||Flame Blast||Knight Crusher||Plant Barrier||Silver Tomahawk||Wind Storm||Yamato Spear||Rush Power Adapter||Beat|
- For Mega Buster, the first number is when the weapon is fired normally; the second is when it is fully charged.
- For Rush Power Adapter, the first number is with uncharged shots; the second number is damage inflicted from partially charged shots; third number is when it is fully charged.
Centaur Man appeared in the story "The Strongest Enemy to Date" from the manga, where he is a robot from Greece that entered in the first World Robot Championship.
In the Rockman 6 manga, Centaur Man has a base in Innocent City (イノセントシティ?). After Knight Man's defeat, a damaged Brain Break informs Centaur Man of what happened and Centaur Man cries. When Mega Man reaches an area with two shutters in Centaur Man's base Mega Man goes inside the lower shutter and faces the angry Centaur Man, a powerful opponent that is able to warp, split his shots and stop time. After a difficult battle, Mega Man manages to win, but the Centaur Man he defeated was a dummy robot and he is warped outside the base. Mega Man must invade the base again to fight against the real Centaur Man, this time going inside the upper shutter. Mega Man has another difficult battle, but this time he uses Knight Crusher. The Knight Crusher hits Centaur Man's helmet, breaking it and revealing that Centaur Man is actually a long-haired woman that loves Knight Man. Centaur Man angrily continues attacking, but Mega Man defeats her with Knight Crusher and leaves her base sad.
Later, Mega Man fights against a Copy Robot with Centaur Man's form in Wily's base, and in the ending the real Centaur Man appears.
Centaur Man can be seen in one panel from the first chapter of the Rockman & Forte manga as one of the robots from the robot museum.
Centaur Man is one of the many Robot Masters to appear in the crossover Worlds Collide, notably attempting to throw Vector the Crocodile off after Vector grabs onto his horns. Later-and still taking place prior to the comic adaptation of his game debut-he appeared briefly in issue 31. After Dr. Light spreads the formula for anti-EM field protective coating, Centaur Man was somehow treated with the solution and reactivated to help save lives, notably saving several people from a flood.
- In Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters, Centaur Man's theme is a remix of Junk Man's theme.
- In terms of timeline, Centaur Man is the first Robot Master to be based on a mythical hybrid, followed later by Sagittarius and Splash Woman.
- Centaur Man is the only Robot Master in Mega Man 6 that does not have a Mega Man Battle Network series counterpart.
- Centaur Man is in fact a woman in the Rockman 6 manga, masquerading as a man. This gender reversal is specific to the manga and is assumed to not carry over to any other continuities.
- Centaur Man's aquatic-themed stage may be a reference to the lost city of Atlantis, which is believed to be near Greece.
- Centaur Man is one of the Robot Masters to give Mega Man two different weapons. The others are Pharaoh Man, Tengu Man and Astro Man.
- Centaur Man's second weapon, Centaur Arrow, may be a reference to the constellation of Sagittarius, which is depicted as both a centaur and an archer. One of the Constellation Droids is actually named Sagitarius, and resembles Centaur Man in being a centaur-like robot that fires arrows. However, Sagittarius has wings and fires arrows from a bow as opposed to a buster.
- Centaur Man's dislike of whips might be referring to actual horses, where they are given the signal to move by lashing a whip.
- Centaur Man is the first quadrupedal Robot Master-the only other known one being Sagittarius-though not the first to have something other than feet (Mega Man 5's Napalm Man was the first, with tank treads).
|Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters|
|List of Playable Characters|
|Mega Man • Proto Man • Bass • Duo|
|List of Bosses|
| - Search for Wily! -|
Shadow Man • Plant Man • Gyro Man • Centaur Man • Bubble Man • Heat Man
- Rescue Roll! -
Cut Man • Stone Man • Shade Man • Elec Man • Dive Man • Slash Man
- Recover the new parts! -
Guts Man • Pharaoh Man • Air Man • Quick Man • Gemini Man • Napalm Man
- Dr. Wily -
|List of Special Weapons|
| Shadow Blade • Plant Barrier • Gyro Attack • Centaur Arrow • Bubble Lead • Atomic Fire|
Rolling Cutter • Power Stone • Noise Crush • Thunder Beam • Dive Missile • Slash Claw
Super Arm • Pharaoh Wave • Air Shooter • Quick Boomerang • Gemini Laser • Napalm Bomb
|Rush • Beat • Treble|