Blizzard Buffalo, known as Frozen Buffalio (フローズン・バッファリオ Furōzun Baffario?) in Japan (and nicknamed Bilzzard Buffalo by fans after misnamed that way in the exported 32-bit version), is a Bison-based Maverick in Mega Man X3. In reality, though, he's really a peace-loving artist, even with the Maverick Virus. So he is (for all intents and purposes) another innocent victim of the Maverick Wars. His original occupation was as an ice sculptor for a ski resort.
Like Flame Mammoth before him, his room is much larger, requiring X to damage him while he's on screen. When his health is depleted by 50%, Blizzard Buffalo shoots a very large ice beam that will freeze X if it connects.
Mega Man X3 stats
- Power: 9200rp
- Speed: 3200rp
In the Rockman X3 manga, during his Maverick rampage at the start of the chapter, he was about to skewer X when he was suddenly stopped by a human boy named Toshihiko, who threw himself in front of the charging Buffalo, causing him to halt and suddenly grab at his own head in agony. Despite X was about to take aim, Toshihiko insisted he stop and then took him to see a smiling snowman up in the mountains near the town Buffalo had been attacking. The boy explained that the snowman is something Buffalo helped him with; in a flashback, Toshihiko had made the snowman on his own but didn't like its expression because he was reminded that he was alone, unlike the other kids. He was about to punch it in anger when Buffalo stopped him and simply changed the expression to a smile for him, which made Toshihiko happy that he had a friend help him. From that point, they ended up being very close...until Buffalo's horns caused him to go Maverick (they were what allowed Doppler to make him go crazy without him knowing) and start rampaging wildly, leading up to the present. Even though Buffalo froze the entire town in ice and endangered innocent lives, Toshihiko never lost faith in his new friend. After a violent and drawn out battle with X, which caused both his horns to be removed, Buffalo realized what he had done and wanted the Maverick Hunter to end his life, feeling he could never atone for his crimes. However, X intentionally missed and put a hole through the wall behind them instead, which allowed Buffalo to see that, just below, Toshihiko had been creating snowmen one after another the entire time so that he could reach out to his heart the way the Reploid had done for him earlier. The chapter ends with Buffalo and Toshihiko being together again, with X stating that Reploids can indeed understand humans because like humans, they have hearts.
- In Mega Man X4, he makes an appearance at the very start of Frost Walrus's stage, frozen over in the background.
- In the CD versions of Mega Man X3, Blizzard Buffalo's name is misspelled as "BILZZARD BUFFALO" in his introductory cutscene, causing many fans to call him that as a joke.
- His stage is normally frozen over. However, if you defeat Volt Catfish before entering Buffalo's stage, the lights return and melt the ice, making the stage less slippery.
- If X jumps as Blizzard Buffalo turns around after rushing into a wall, a programming error will cause him to turn around and charge the same wall again. This makes it possible to defeat him with only the X-Buster while taking minimal damage.
- Blizzard Buffalo is one of only five ice-themed robots who create ice sculptures. The other four are Chill Penguin, Frost Man, Cold Man, and Fenri Lunaedge. Additionally, he and Chill Penguin are the only ones from the Mega Man X series to have this talent.
|Mega Man X3|
|List of Mavericks|
|Toxic Seahorse • Tunnel Rhino • Volt Catfish • Crush Crawfish • Neon Tiger • Gravity Beetle • Blast Hornet • Blizzard Buffalo|
|Maoh the Giant • Vile MK-2 • Bit • Byte • Godkarmachine O Inary • Press Disposer • Volt Kurageil • Dr. Doppler • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
| Acid Burst • Tornado Fang • Triad Thunder • Spinning Blade • Ray Splasher • Gravity Well • Parasitic Bomb • Frost Shield |
- Other -
| - Mega Man X -|
|Walkthrough • List of Mega Man X3 enemies • Damage Data Chart • Game Script|