Beat (ビート Bīto?) is a bird-type combat support robot from the Mega Man series built by Dr. Cossack for Mega Man to help him protect the world. He serves a support role by either attacking enemies or protecting Mega Man, depending on the game.
- In Mega Man 5, Mega Man 6 and Mega Man IV, Beat attacks enemies that appear on the path (he cannot attack bosses in Mega Man 6). Unlike Rush and Eddie before him, his internal radar cannot lock on to Mega Man from a distance, so he needs to rely on the signal of Plates to be able to fly to his aid. Beat can appear without the need of collecting Plates in later games, suggesting that the issue was fixed in some way.
- In Mega Man 7, Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10, Beat will appear when Mega Man falls into a pit and carries him for a while. The player must move to a safe area before Beat releases Mega Man, as he cannot hold his weight for too long. Unlike in most games, where he uses weapon energy, the item can be used only four times and must be refilled in the shop after usage.
- In Mega Man 7 the item is called Beat's Whistle. Mega Man must save Beat in an area hidden in the part with bees in Slash Man's stage (the Scorch Wheel can burn the trees to reveal the area) to be able to use him. He receives four Beat's Whistles after this and can buy more later in the shop.
- In Mega Man 9 and 10, the item is called Beat Call (ビートコール Bīto Kōru?), and is available in the shop from the beginning by spending 50 screws in Mega Man 9. In Mega Man 10, one Beat Call costs 20 screws when playing with Mega Man and 30 screws with Proto Man.
- In the ending of Mega Man 9, Beat sees Hornet Man watering a flower garden.
- In Mega Man 8, he helps out in the sections where Mega Man uses Rush Jet. He can damage enemies that fly into him and dashes forward when Mega Man fires a charged shot.
- In Mega Man & Bass, he creates a shield to protect Mega Man. He also protects Proto Man and Duo in Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters.
- In Rockman & Forte: Mirai Kara no Chousensha, Beat will appear and make Mega Man invincible for a short period. While in effect, Beat will fly around Mega Man and damage enemies he touches.
- In Super Adventure Rockman, Beat accompanies Mega Man throughout the game. He is often seen in cutscenes retrieving weapon chips from the defeated Robot Masters, and could communicate with Mega Man through what appears to be his own language, which solely takes the form of bird sounds.
- In Rockman Strategy Beat is a member of Mega Man's party as he faces various Robot Masters and the alien robots led by Apollo.
- In Mega Man: Battle & Chase, Beat appears in Mega Man's ending, and Roll's car has Beat's appearance.
- In the fighting games Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes and Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes, Beat takes the form of a small plane for a short time in the special attack Beat Plane (ビートプレーン Bītopurēn?) used by Mega Man and Roll. He also combines with Rush, Eddie, and Mega Man/Roll in the special attack Hyper Mega Man/ Hyper Roll to create a huge version of the player that shoots a wide beam across the entire screen with energy duplicates of Beat, Rush, and Eddie.
- In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, Beat appears as one of Mega Man's custom moves for his up special, Rush Coil. It must be unlocked before it can be swapped out. Mega Man summons Beat, who carries him high into the air, much like the Beat Call item in the Mega Man series. This move serves as recovery, and it doesn't leave Mega Man helpless upon using it. It has greater vertical distance than the Rush Coil at the cost of more start-up time, slower speed and horizontal range.
Damage Data Charts
Known damage values in units for Mega Man 5.
|Dark Man 1||3|
|Dark Man 2||3|
|Dark Man 3||3|
|Dark Man 4||3|
|Wily Machine No. 5||0|
|Wily Capsule II||2|
Known damage values in units for Mega Man 6.
- In Mega Man 6, Beat cannot inflict damage on bosses -- only enemies.
Mega Man & Bass CD data
Translation: Developed by Dr. Cossack for world peace, a bird type attack support robot that has been presented to Rockman.
|A bird-shaped support robot created by the genius scientist Dr. Cossack. Beat first appeared in Mega Man 5, where he was available to use only after Mega Man collected all eight plates hidden throughout the game. He flies toward enemies and attacks, making him a trusted ally when facing both regular enemies and bosses.|
Mega Man Battle Network series
Beat's counterpart in the Mega Man Battle Network series is a Navi Customizer program that appears once per battle in multiplayer NetBattles to take one of the opponent's Mega/Giga Battle Chips for the player to use.
Mega Man Megamix
In Burning Wheel, Beat stays inside Roll's car, which is shaped like him.
Beat appeared in the crossover Worlds Collide.
- In the North American Mega Man 5 manual, it is said that both Dr. Cossack and Dr. Light were working on Beat before Dr. Light's kidnapping, and he is completed by Dr. Cossack during the game.
- Beat would have appeared in Mega Man: The Power Battle, but was removed from the game before its release. However, his sprites remained in the game data, as he makes an appearance as a support unit in the sequel.
- It is unknown if Roll's car in the game Mega Man: Battle & Chase only has Beat's appearance (as all cars in the game can have their parts exchanged), or if it is a transformation like the Beat Plane from Marvel vs. Capcom (as the car has a sweat drop in Roll's ending, implying it has intelligence). In Hitoshi Ariga's manga Mega Man Gigamix, Beat stays inside the square in the forehead of the car.
- His Bad Point in Mega Man and Bass' CD Data, Wanderlust, may refer to the fact that in Mega Man 5, Beat could get sidetracked by projectiles fired by bosses and fly offscreen.
|Mega Man Classic series|| Beat • Dive Missile • Forte Vulcan • Homing Sniper • Hornet Chaser • Magnet Missile •|
|Mega Man X series|| Bomb Bee • Homing Torpedo • Parasitic Bomb • Shadow Runner • Sniper Missile •|
Thunder Dancer • Wind Cutter
| Mega Man • Beat • Rush • Dr. Light • Roll|
Proto Man • Duo • Auto • Eddie • Fan • Dr. Wily
| Aries • Taurus • Gemini • Cancer • Leo • Virgo|
Libra • Scorpio • Sagittarius • Capricorn • Aquarius • Pisces
Bass • Treble • Apollo • Luna • Wily Machine α • Wily Capsule α
| Fire Man • Cut Man• Bomb Man • Flame Man • Ice Man • Frost Man|
Guts Man • Metal Man • Elec Man • Spark Man • Cloud Man • Heat Man
Napalm Man • Bubble Man • Freeze Man • Hard Man • Yamato Man • Tomahawk Man
Pharaoh Man • Burst Man • Dive Man • Aqua Man • Stone Man • Astro Man
Knight Man •Sword Man •Skull Man
|Characters and Enemies • Screws • Dr. Light's Laboratory • Items • Script|
|Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U|
|Mega Man's Weapons and Moves|
|Mega Buster • Sliding • Mega Upper • Charge Shot • Super Arm • Metal Blade • Leaf Shield • Air Shooter • Crash Bomb|
Hard Knuckle • Top Spin • Spark Shot • Flame Blast • Slash Claw • Flame Sword
|Hyper Bomb • Ice Slasher • Shadow Blade • Skull Barrier • Plant Barrier • Danger Wrap • Tornado Hold|
|Other properties included in Super Smash Bros Nintendo 3DS / Wii U|
|- Sonic the Hedgehog -|
|Sonic the Hedgehog • Tails • Knuckles the Echidna • Shadow the Hedgehog • Green Hill Zone • Chaos Emeralds • Super transformation|
|- Street Fighter -|
|Ryu • Hadoken • Shoryuken|
|- Nintendo (Miscellaneous) -|