- "Are you a thief or something? You can't just take what you want that easily. Go home, kid. Otherwise I'll call the Maverick Hunter."
- ―Axle the Red, Mega Man X5
He originated from a very rare and mysterious mutation between a Reploid, the nature control unit of a Ukrainian jungle, and the Sigma Virus. As the process and cause of this mutation could not be determined, it was believed that this strange evolution could create a threat more serious than the virus itself. So Axle hid himself away in an abandoned military base in the jungle where he at some point in time obtained an Orbiter Engine needed for the Maverick Hunters' Space Shuttle. When the Maverick Hunters encountered him while searching for the Orbiter Engine, he resisted, stating that they would need to fight him to obtain it and that he doesn't care what happens to Earth as he would be able to steal anything he wants during the panic. Axle also expressed disapproval of the Hunters' methods, citing the Repliforce incident from Mega Man X4 when playing as Zero.
Axle tends to use his spiked-whip and spike ball weapons most often. If he catches the players character with his whip, he will drain their life energy. Though, he shouldn't be too difficult to fight, even with his clone activated. As a plant-based Maverick, he is weak to Mattrex's fire weapons, Ground Fire and Quake Blazer. If the player defeats him, X will gain his Spike Ball and Zero will learn the Twin Dream ability.
Powers and Abilities
- Spike Rope:
- Rose Whip:
- Rose Cutter:
When playing as X
Axle the Red: What do you want with me?
X: Nothing. I just want the Orbiter Engine.
Axle the Red: Are you a thief or something? You can't just take what you want that easily. Go home, kid. Otherwise I'll call the Maverick Hunter.
X: Do as you wish. Now. Tell me where the Engine is!
Axle the Red: I told you. You can't get it so easily. You'll have to fight me for it.
X: If that is the easiest way to persuade you, so be it.
Axle the Red: Hey... You'd better watch your mouth... I'll do whatever it takes to win! Let the battle begin!
Axle The Red: Hey! Did you hear that?! They say the Earth will be completely destroyed! Everyone is in a panic, I assume, and... Wait... That means we can steal anything we want, doesn't it?
X: What a pathetic thief you are! Is that all you care about?!
Axle The Red: Hey, we can work together and split the rewards. Or do you want to fight me? If so, I'll treat you... It'll be fun, because you look strong... If you lose, you'll be my servant! Now, let's fight!
When playing as Zero
Axle the Red: Are you the one they call Zero?
Zero: That's no concern of yours. Just give me the Orbiter Engine.
Axle the Red: So, what they say about Maverick Hunters is true: Extremely pushy and threatening. They will terminate you if you stand in their way...
Zero: Hey, I don't care what you think or what you heard, but we only retire Mavericks.
Axle the Red: Mavericks, huh...? And it's up to you who gets put in that category... I heard you accused the members of the Reploid Air Force of being Mavericks... What are Mavericks, anyway...?
Zero: Wait a minute, that's not true...!
Axle the Red: I'll show you exactly what people think when they get retired...!
Axle The Red: Excuse me, but... Are you the one they call Zero?
Zero: You don't need to know.
Axle The Red: You are a Maverick Hunter, right? Tell me what will happen to the Earth! It seems the Earth is in very serious trouble.
Axle The Red: When you die, you will meet all of the Reploids you have retired. Then you will know what they felt when they were retired... What you did to them... In fact, I'm going to expedite your journey... and show you myself... Prepare to be retired, Hunter!
Axle the Red-or rather, Spike Rosered-appears in Worlds Unite as part of Sigma-1's army of Mavericks, who briefly menace the crew of the Sky Patrol before dispersing to various worlds to set up their master's Unity Engines.
Axle the Red appeared in the Rockman X5 manga.
"His rose motif was decided early on. I had a nasty thought that, being a rose, he'd probably be a flashy/conceited jerk, so I modeled him on the Kakyoin in me. (grin) [Note: It might refer to the character Noriaki Kakyoin from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.] With the idea for Zero's learned skill pretty much undecided, it was a tough job. I get the feeling the Twin Vision was the last skill to be decided upon."
"At any rate, since he's a rose, I tried not designing him simply in that object's form, but forming his silhouette so that when he spreads his arms, he gives an overall physical impression of a "flowerpot rose." By the way, I found out in researching roses that they come in a whole variety of shapes and colors."
- In the American version, Axle the Red was named after Axl Rose, the lead singer of the rock band Guns N' Roses. It served well the facts that Axle the Red is based on a rose, and there are guns (actually cannons) and roses in the background of his stage.
- The name of his stage theme, "Into the Jungle!", may possibly be a reference to the Guns N' Roses song "Welcome to the Jungle".
- In terms of ability, he's like Split Mushroom before him, who in turn is like Gemini Man from the original Mega Man series.
- Despite being named Axle the Red, he is colored mostly green. The red part of his name may be linked to his rose theme.
- In English releases, Axle and Metal Shark Player are the only Mavericks with three-word names.
- Axle's sprites seem to have been reversed in the game as his leg covered by vines is the right one on the artwork but the left one on the sprites. Another change from artwork to sprites is that his petals seem to be dehydrated and about to fall while in the game.
- In the prototype version of Mega Man X5, Split Mushroom can be fought in Axle the Red's stage; this can only be accessed through the use of a GameShark code.
- In the Rockman X5 manhua (as seen in the above picture), Axle the Red has sharp teeth (probably usually covered by his mouth plate).
- ↑ Mega Man X Official Complete Works, UDON Entertainment Corp. 2009. pg.51. Retrieved on March 31, 2012.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Rockman Elysium: Production notes about the cast of X5
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Capcom Community: X5 Developer/Designer Note translations
- ↑ Protodude's Rockman Corner: Alyson Court Talks Mega Man X5 Guns N' Roses References
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqN1_Tv6eXU Rockman X5/Megaman X5 Prototype Unused Stages
|Mega Man X5|
|List of Mavericks|
|Grizzly Slash (Crescent Grizzly) • Duff McWhalen (Tidal Whale) • Squid Adler (Volt Kraken) • Izzy Glow (Shining Firefly) • Dark Dizzy (Dark Necrobat) • The Skiver (Spiral Pegasus) • Mattrex (Burn Dinorex) • Axle the Red (Spike Rosered)|
|Sigma Head • Magma Dragoon • Dynamo • Shadow Devil • Rangda Bangda W • Zero • Mega Man X • Sigma|
|Mega Man X's Special Weapons|
|C-Shot • Goo Shaver • Tri-Thunder • F-Laser • Dark Hold • Wing Spiral • Ground Fire • Spike Ball|
|Zero's Special Techniques|
|C-Sword • F-Splasher • E-Blade • C-Flasher • Dark Hold • W-Shredder • Quake Blazer • Twin Dream|
| - Mega Man X -|
Force Armor • Falcon Armor • Gaea Armor • Ultimate Armor
- Zero -
|Hunter Base • Zero Space|
|Walkthrough • Parts • List of Enemies • Eurasia • Enigma • Space Shuttle|
Damage Data Chart (X) • Damage Data Chart (Zero) • Game Script (X's story) • Game Script (Zero's story)